Welcome To My Thoughts On Everything

Welcome! While you may not agree with my thoughts on everything I respect your right not to as long as you respect my right to have a thought every now and then.

The Old Geezer

Search The Web From Here

Monday, January 12, 2009

Logitech Mouse Wheel

Whatever you do, never, never and I mean NEVER take the rubber off of a Logitech mouse wheel! Why? Because you will never, never and I mean NEVER get it to go back on correctly. They are never made to come off, they are molded on! How do I know this? Have I been talking to a Logitech technician? No, but I wish that had! No, I, innocently enough, removed the rubber from the wheel of my Logitech optical mouse in order to clean it. And to my utter surprise and astonishment the rubber part was full of tabs and inserts and the plastic part was full of a jigsaw puzzle full of receptacles! Some of these tabs/receptacles were on the sides of the rubber jacket and plastic wheel. Others were along the inner/outer rims! I knew once I had the rubber jacket off the plastic wheel that I was never going to get the two back together, though I tried and tried and TRIED! I even cut the tabs an inserts off the rubber jacket in desperation but it was a lost cause. The rubber had stretched beyond it's capacity to expand and it tore! One dead mouse wheel. Now what was I going to do?

Well, I have a small collection of computer junk so I sifted through it trying to find a spare wheel, but alas, no spare wheel. So I ended up stealing the wheel from a ball type Logitech mouse that I had laying around. The entire wheel mechanism was the same so all the new wheel needed was a bit of cleaning up as the mouse had been sitting ground for a while unused. The color of the rubber is a bit lighter shade of gray but other than that it is the same. A little silicone grease in the right places and the job was complete. The mouse works as well as before.

Bottom line, never, never and I mean NEVER take anything apart that you want to keep unless you know how it comes apart and that you are assured that you can get it back together again. You may not have a spare laying around to fix it with.

No comments: